61. Do Skonu (До Скону) – Black Asceticism (Черная Аскеза) (released April 15, 2019)
Occult black metal from Ukraine. They also call themselves back rock. Has its special vibe to it. I just re-visited the album and it’s making my day!
62. Aubzagl – Eilífa Kuldinn (released June 6, 2019)
Black/Post-black from England, UK. This is a short EP but it’s sweet and memorable. Listen to “The Hermit”:
63. Eluveitie – Ategnatos (released April 5, 2019)
This Swiss melodic death/folk metal band never disappoints. This is not my favourite genre but a top list containing best metal albums should not be missing this one. Watch the music video for the title track:
64. Malignancy – Headless (released March 29, 2019)
This two-piece black metal band from New Zealand has its own special sound. I’d say “horse black metal”. The title track is beautiful:
65. Mortic – Beneath the Surface (released June 22, 2019)
In-your-face, guitar ejaculation, technical death metal from Minneapolis, Minnesota.
66. Cities of Mars – The Horologist (released April 5, 2019)
Stoner/Doom Metal from Sweden. This one should not be forgotten. I love “Inner Sanctum, Outer Space”. This deserves a way better position in this list.
67. Czernina – Shed (Demo) (released June 9, 2019)
Underground black/dark metal from Poland. The track “The Greater Our Shadows Become” is amazing.
68. KHNVM – Foretold Monuments of Flesh (released March 29, 2019)
Furious black/death metal from Germany/Bangladesh. The title track is a killer.
69. L’Acéphale – L’Acéphale (released April 19, 2019)
A long, pleasant experimental black metal experience. The album contains more than 73 minutes of pure madness, and several tracks are lovely. I’ll re-visit this soon. The last track, a 19-min journey, is the best.
70. Sinmara – Hvísl Stjarnanna (released March 8, 2019)
Icelandic black metal at its best. This and Andavald’s new album are the best Icelandic black metal albums of 2019 for me so far. I love “Crimson Stars” and the title track very much. Again, this deserves a much better place in this chart. I’d have to fix the numbers so .I won’t change it.
71. Brymir – Wings of Fire (released March 12, 2019)
Melodic death/folk metal band from Helsinki, Finland. Good stuff, the lyrics are interesting.
72. Everest Queen – Dead Eden (released April 18, 2019)
Atmospheric sludge/progressive doom metal. Listen to “Blood that Bind the Iliad” performed live:
73. Hellraiser – Heritage (released May 25, 2019)
A thrash/heavy metal band from Italy formed in 2000. Hear “Fairy Veil”:
74. Periphery – Periphery IV: HAIL STAN (released April 5, 2019)
This album is on many top lists and it deserves it. That 16 minute intro… Deserves a better place on the chart.
75. Mollo Rilla – Mollo Rilla (released May 3, 2019)
Stoner/hard rock from Cleveland, Ohio. Listen to the first track on the album, “Ego”:
76. The Meads of Asphodel – Running Out of Time Doing Nothing (released June 21, 2019)
Experimental black/death metal from UK. My favourite’s track from this album was entitled by Captain Obvious: “Black is Black & White is White”.
77. Aara – So Fallen Alle Tempel (released March 1, 2019)
Atmospheric black metal/doom metal. Favourite tracks: “De Profundis” and “Rote Trümmer”.
78. Pnakotic Vision – Azathoth (released June 12, 2019)
Lovecraftian black/death metal from Helsinki, Finland. The title track is awesome…
79. Lebowski – Galactica (released January 26, 2019)
Instrumental progressive rock from Poland that must be heard. Favourite track: “Midnight Syndrome”.
80. Memoriam – Requiem For Mankind (released June 20, 2019)
Possibly the best death metal album of the year for me. Best track: “Shell Shock”. Unfortunately, I remembered this album too late and it is number 80 on this list. It definitely needs a better position.
Here are some albums which were released a few days into July, so technically it shouldn’t be on this list; but who cares. I don’t want to forget them for the December list.
81. Aeon Winds – Stormveiled (released July 9, 2019)
Atmospheric black metal from Slovakia. I love the atmosphere here and this will certainly have a high place on my end of the year chart. Check out “Beyond All Empty Places”:
82. False – Portent (released July 12, 2019)
One look at the cover and I’m already in love. The music is madness, darkness, and screams combined with each other to create a unique sound. I’m still looking for the lyrics… The first track was released as a single a few months prior to the album release and that already made me pre-order the album. Amazing stuff! I’m happy to know this band and this album in particular.