0. Dreadnought – Emergence (released May 10, 2019)
I was shamefully late to this release and I had to change its position from 81 to number 2 on this list. This is a phenomenal release, something completely rad. Listen to “Svartálfr” and watch the music video for “El Lizard Birth” to realize my point.
4. Mono – Nowhere Now Here (released January 25, 2019)
Mono is back with their everlasting majesty. This album is as good as I expected. Love Mono… Saw them live in Toronto a few months ago and they blew my mind! “After You Comes the Flood” gives me chill bones…
6. Crystal Coffin – Demo 2019 (released January 17, 2019)
Crushing apocalyptic black metal from Vancouver. Aron, who does Vocals and Bass, is a good friend of mine and also plays in Koma, a Sludge/Doom band who released Through Blackened Veils in January 2019. I own that album on red vinyl and I hope Crystal Coffin also publishes something on wax!
8. Spirit Adrift – Divided by Darkness (released May 10, 2019)
Best heavy metal album of 2019 without any doubt. This is a masterpiece and will be remembered by many people in the coming years. I saw them live in June and their performance is wonderful.
9. Wormwitch – Heaven that Dwells Within (released April 5, 2019)
10. Crypt Witch – Bad Trip Exorcism (released March 27, 2019)
You don’t want to listen to this album unless you are high. Instrumental Stoner/Doom with killer riffs. It is difficult for some people to connect with this album, but I just love everything about it; including the fact that the man behind Crypt Witch is running several other projects such as Donarhall, Sinister Downfall, and Hexengrab.
12. Andavald – Undir skyggðarhaldi (released June 6, 2019)Number 12 was originally the spot for Crom Dubh’s new album, but I had to move it down to give the proper rank to Andavald’s new record. I listened to this several times (like 6 or 7 times) on my way to work and then back home. It is Icelandic black metal but it’s not too dissonant to annoy my ears. I love the slow atmosphere and I love to relax to their sound. There are 5 tracks in the album but the first and the last are intro and outro, so it’s basically three long tracks; just as it should be. All the tracks are almost equally amazing, my favourite being the second one:
14. Verwoed – De Val (released May 24, 2019)
18. Remete – Into Endless Night (released April 15, 2019)One of the best atmospheric black metals I’ve heard in a while. All the songs are perfect and the cover art is really amazing. I stared at the cover for a few minutes when I first saw it! Remete is a one man project from the same person who brought you Woods of Desolation and Forest Mysticism. Favourite track: Coiled Within.